Fay

Fay

Friday 3 October 2014

Back in Istanbul

Sat 20th Sept

Having slept the flight the flight away, we arrive in Istanbul and head straight for our hotel. Soft, fluffy towels and a crisp white bed, bliss. This is where I stay till 5pm when I manage to find the strength for a shower, ah a clean bathroom and lots of hot water. Then back to bed and sleep till morning!

We have learnt a lot from our Pakistan experience, a lot about ourselves. We now know our limits, the lack of facilities we could cope with, even the extent of the poverty but what we couldn't cope with in the end was the filth and the lack of proper loos!

Sun 21st

I missed this day. Despite really wanting to see more of the dazzling city of Istanbul, all I see is the hotel bedroom! I am better just whacked, sleep is easy. This being the case, Richard goes for a walk and finds a very impressive Roman viaduct. I just sleep. Not being able to face the thought of travelling tomorrow, we book another night at the hotel.

Monday 22nd Sept

Determined not to miss everything; I don't feel I've finished with Istanbul yet, we venture a little walk to the Grand Bazaar. It is huge, we only walk a couple of aisles. Like a woman 30 years my senior, we rest at available seats then against anything we would normally do, we find a Starbucks!! I have no fancy for tea and Turkish coffee is too strong at the moment, so ashamedly I admit to being in the middle of cosmopolitan Istanbul drinking half a cup of tasteless Latte.

Richard hasn't had a proper meal since looking after me, so we go to a restaurant, he is keen I should eat but I have no appetite. He lovingly orders me a tuna salad saying if I don't eat it he will. I'm not sure he realised he would be eating all of it! I tried but two forkfuls of tuna but it just rolled round and round my mouth like two mouthfuls of Hoover bag fluff.

It is a better day though, we visit the Basilica Cistern and sort out ferry tickets for tomorrow.


Sent from my iPad

No comments:

Post a Comment