Fay

Fay

Friday 22 August 2014

En route to the Harz

Tues 12th Aug

We leave the village of Otter, having affirmed friendships and made formative plans for a reciprocal visit to the UK next year. A quick call to work to see if the girls wanted me to skype them whilst the inspector was there. They sounded ok, he spoke to me and assured me there was no need to skype. Fingers crossed, he sounds human. I hope so, a good report will do much for their confidence and my reassurance.

Our plan for today is to travel via the Hartz mountains. An area on our list of places to see. We find a little track beside a potato field, potatoes are a speciality of this area, an ideal place for the picnic lunch Jutta prepared for us and to "acquire" some spuds for supper!

Tonight we are staying at campsite between Clausthal-Zellerfeld and Altenau, in the middle of the Hartz. My throat is trying to become cough, I am still resisting! The first sticker is now in situ; Fay proudly displays her name across her front in big, bright pink letters!

I really must try to get on with some sewing this evening. Dressmaking never has been my forte but for Fay, I am making the effort. No debutant would start her season with a shabby frock, so Fay cannot start hers with shabby curtains. Was this a job that should have been finished before we left? Yes, of course but hay oh, I didn't get them finished. The side windows are done, the front window isn't too desperate as we have silver screens; it's just the back window that needs some urgent attention. Thus far, a make shift dog blanket has screened our modesty but the risk of an unsuspecting bystander getting a view of a bare bottom remains very real!

Richard has further modified the dodgy bed board. No longer does my nights slumber depend upon "the peg" The peg has been replaced by a piece of folded up cardboard and some duck tape. The moral of this story is that if a thing cannot be mended with duck tape and/or a cable tie, then it really is broken! The bed then is broken no longer???

No comments:

Post a Comment