Fay

Fay

Saturday 27 September 2014

Our last days in Pakistan

Thur 18th Sept

We were up early today. A 5am start, today's journey would be even longer. We are on the road by 6am, the KKH from here to Islamabad is smoother and countryside greener. As we expected there are delays due to the numerous police check points. (They are everywhere in Pakistan but here even more.) At one, which was most bizarre, we were required to enter the police mud hut where officers were sleeping on the floor, to have our photographs taken on a web cam connected to a Computer!

Our journey along the KKH was uneventful but long, one of the jeeps develops a problem, it is spewing oil everywhere so we have to keep stopping to fill it up again. By now it is dark, we are in Abbotabad, a very large town/city. At this point I suspect everyone is vibrating my celestial morse code receiver! How ever I describe this will only be fraction of the reality: trucks are everywhere and they rule the road, they are bigger than anyone else and drive where they please; headlights are only for flashing with to tell other road uses you are coming through no matter what; buses are lethal, they have their own very sinister sounding horn and stop for nothing, if you hear this horn - get out of the way! All vehicles overtake and undertake, usually at the same time; the side of the road you use is any you can get on; the hooting is incessant; the pace is fast, overcrowded and there are no rules. Our driver will deserve every bit of his his tip!

After 14hours on the road, we reach Islamabad, mercifully everyone is in one piece. This is the hotel we stared in. Was it really only three weeks ago? It feels like a life time!

Fri 19th sept

I had hoped that I would be able to close this Pakistan chapter by saying that we had met the challenge of Pakistan; not overcome it but met it. I was wrong. Just as the end was in sight, Pakistan crept up behind me and flattened me! I had managed to cope with having tummy ache everyday, with bodily functions that we deemed normal for Pakistan but for which you would consult a Doctor at home. Not today, though, it got me! I was stuck in the loo not knowing which way to turn. Every bit of me hurting and legs like jelly. I didn't want to miss my last day, I tried but failed to see the capital city. Against his wishes I told Richard he should go, how could we leave without a single picture of the Fisail Mosque? Whilst there Richard has a serious conversation with Karim about the state of Pakistan. Karim knows it's problems are due to religion, there are over 70 different sects in Islam and none will agree with another. Historically, Pakistan was a Buddhist country, I cannot help but wonder what it's fate would have been if it had remained that way?

I miss the last meal and saying Goodbye to everyone. We are due to leave at 2am to catch our return flight to Istanbul. Richard mutes that perhaps we should delay our departure a day? No no no, I just want out! This is not how I wanted the experience to end, sometimes when you are away there comes a point when you feel ready to go home. I just feel ready to go anywhere!

We arrive at the airport but not without throwing up at the entrance! I must look well enough to board the plane, once we are out of Pakistan air space I don't mind, just get me on that flight!


Sent from my iPad

1 comment:

  1. Hi both. We only recently found your Blog via Facebook. What an adventure! The Blog is beautifully written and the photos are fab. I have to say that your Pakistan adventure will certainly be memorable .....and very far outside of our comfort zone.

    Enjoy Turkey. Jerry and Julie

    ReplyDelete