Fay

Fay

Saturday 15 November 2014

Mazi Underground City

Sat 25th Oct

Our third attempt to go up in a hot air balloon fails, so we go "grockling" and become tourists for the day! We visit Gerome, it is interesting but we have found places as good during our own explorations.

From there we go to less well known tourist attraction. Mazi Underground City. It is a great find with a guide so full of character, he is as much a part of the attraction as the place itself. Wearing a leather Stetson, he approaches the van as we arrive at what looks like a building site. "Do you want to visit the cave city?" He asks " come, have tea and I will take you." Whilst we drink the cay, a minibus arrives with a small group of German ladies. He was waiting for them, we tagged along. This cave city is still being excavated, renovated and evolved into something much more than it currently is. In a few years time Mazi could take over from the currently better known cave cities; it has the potential to be huge.

Our guide gave us torches and led us all through rooms and chambers, explaining as we went their use and the lives of the people who used to live there. We saw the sleeping quarters, the kitchens, the pigeon lofts and the wine presses. The wine press was interesting; a square stone basin into which the grapes were placed and then trodden. As the juice was extracted, it flowed through small holes to a chamber below. All this and every activity would have been by candle light!

Then we came to a point where we had to choose either to go back or to continue. To continue meant climbing up narrow, vertical tunnels with roughly hewn footholds and occasional ropes! This is not usually my cup of tea, I am far too much of a whimp for such activities. Richard, though, opts to continue. I leave with most of the Germans and the guide and head to the exit. As we see daylight, he says to me " don't go, you can do it. If you get scared I will help you." I try to protest that I am not agile enough to climb such ascents but he offers to carry me on his shoulders if necessary, to prove himself strong enough he picks me up as if I were a feather! I give in and to Richard's great surprise, return to where he and two German girls were waiting.

It took all my courage and strength to get up these potholes but true to his word, my guide was there behind me, with words of encouragement and the odd push. Because the guide was behind me, I had no idea how far the ascents were. (Must go on and on into the darkness.) Once the two of us were at the top, he would shine his torch down for the others. For them there was light at the end of the tunnel. The tunnels, I refused in the anyali church were a piece of cake, compared to these! I will admit that there was more than one occasion, when I had to have a quick word with myself! "There is no going back, don't freak yourself out, get on with it, stop thinking and climb!" At one ascent, my guide went in front, as I neared the top I became unexpectedly airborne, lithely I was hauled up like a fish on a line!

We had climbed, crawled and scrambled through this incredible cave city. It is almost beyond belief that people could have lived as they did. Our guide taught us much and I was so pleased that I agreed to go back with him. He was an excellent guide, with a great sense of humour and fun.
For anyone thinking of visiting Mazi the truth is, so long as you are reasonably fit and not claustrophobic, then summon your courage and do the whole thing; it is well worth it.

Back at the campsite a much needed shower was called for, we were aching and filthy, exhausted but happy.

No comments:

Post a Comment